DATE: May 27, 2020
Who is Our Client?
- Founded in 1946, Tacony Corporation is a privately held manufacturing and distribution company that provides the world with better solutions for sewing, cleaning and home.
- With more than 550 associates in 12 offices around the world, Tacony’s mission is to create long-lasting relationships that are based on trust and feel like family.
- Nancy’s Notions, a sewing, quilting, embroidery, fabric and crafts company, was founded by Nancy Zieman in 1979 from her basement in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
- Zieman grew the business into a 100,000 square foot warehouse that included a retail store and annual retreat.
- Additionally, Zieman once hosted the longest-airing sewing series on television, Sewing with Nancy, on Wisconsin Public Television.
- Tacony acquired Nancy’s Notions from founder Zieman in 2003.
- In November 2017, Zieman passed away after a two-year battle with bone cancer.
Why Did Tacony Hire Nolan?
- Tacony’s leadership team engaged Nolan to sell Nancy’s Notions because they were looking for a strategic partner with the resources and expertise to grow the business to the next level.
What Value Did Nolan Deliver?
- Nolan’s competitive sale process delivered Missouri Star Quilt Company as the ideal buyer for Nancy’s Notions, uniting the two most powerful brands in the sewing and quilting space.
- Founded in 2008 by the Doan family, Missouri Star Quilt Company currently offers one of the largest selections of precut fabrics in the world and ships thousands of packages to customers across the globe every day.
- Missouri Star Quilt Company’s YouTube channel has over 650,000 subscribers with almost 200 million views and new quilting tutorials are published every week.
- Many members of the Doan family actively operate the company, including Jenny Doan, who has become a YouTube quilting celebrity.
- The company headquarters in Hamilton, Missouri, also known as “Quilt Town, USA,” have become a tourist destination, with 12 themed quilt shops, a retreat center and education center, while also employing over 400 people.
- Jenny and the Doan family were featured in a CBS Sunday Morning segment, How Jenny Doan created the Disneyland of quilting.
- “Nancy Zieman was a great inspiration to so many and we are excited to honor her legacy and also introduce her love of sewing to a new generation of creators,” said Michael Mifsud, Missouri Star CEO. “We are excited to add the Nancy’s Notions brand to the Missouri Star Quilt Company family.”