DATE: September 27, 2017
Who is Our Client?
- Thompson Street Capital Partners, a private equity firm in St. Louis with $1.5 billion of assets under management, is the owner of Analytical Lab Group, a group of FDA and EPA-focused laboratories across the US. Analytical Lab Group’s experts provide an infection prevention focus to ensure the most comprehensive testing solutions including microbiological examination, sterility, batch release, preservative effectiveness and environmental testing to the healthcare, drug and consumer product industries.
- Analytical Lab Group is made up of two companies – Accuratus Lab Services and Microbiology Research Associates.
- Accuratus Lab Services has become a trusted leader in the antimicrobial space. Accuratus Lab Services partners with developers and manufacturers to support product development and claims for EPA submission and FDA approval. Accuratus Lab Services is a GLP compliant laboratory and is considered a top global provider of Antimicrobial efficacy testing services and serves the Medical Device, Pharmaceutical, Cosmetic and Personal Care industries.
- Microbiology Research Associates has become a reliable partner and consultative extension to the cGMP microbiology and testing industry. Microbiology Research Associates partners with CMOs, CDMOs, medical device, biotechnology, pharmacy, biopharma, cosmetic and health care industries to provide FDA compliance expertise and testing solutions. MRA is a cGMP, ISO 9001:2008 certified and FDA-registered contract laboratory.
Why Did Thompson Street Capital Partners Hire Nolan?
- Thompson Street Capital Partners’ Portfolio Company Analytical Lab Group engaged Nolan to find additional companies in the Contract Research Organization (CRO) space that provide preclinical research in a laboratory environment, drug trial logistics and analysis support or commercialized drug manufacturing and compounding support. CROs work with the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries by providing outsourced research services on a contract basis.
- Additionally, Thompson Street was interested in labs that provide microbiology laboratory research and testing services to FDA/USP-regulated industries.
What Value Did Nolan Deliver?
- To meet Thompson Street’s objectives, Nolan investigated the laboratory services market for the highest quality and most applicable Analytical Lab Group add-on opportunities, and then presented those companies that best aligned with the strategic goals of Thompson Street.
- Founded in 2006 and located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Microbiology & Quality Associates (MQA) works with life sciences companies by providing services including Testing Laboratories, Validation and Calibration and Manufacturing. MQA works with a wide variety of companies in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, nutritional product, dialysis centers, and semiconductor industries. They are FDA-inspected and registered, ISO 17025 accredited, 9001 compliant and have a Quality System that complies with GxP regulations.
- MQA will join Microbiology Research Associates and Accuratus as the third leg of Analytical Lab Group’s portfolio of laboratories serving the antimicrobial, pharmaceutical, medical device and healthcare industries. As with Analytical Lab Group’s previous acquisitions, MQA’s management team and lab will remain the same. MQA’s strong reputation, talented team and long tradition of value combined with excellent customer support was a perfect fit with the Analytical Lab Group culture.
- Nolan also advised Thompson Street on the acquisitions of Microbiology Research Associates and Accuratus. MQA is Nolan’s fourth transaction with Thompson Street in two years.
- This acquisition greatly increases Analytical Lab Group’s reach, with a footprint on the West Coast, and allows Analytical Lab Group to offer even more testing services to the pharmaceutical industry.