DATE: March 14, 2019
Who is Our Client?
- Founded in 1915, Western Specialty Contractors is the largest specialty contractor in the country, made up of a nationwide network of skilled workers and valued customers.
- Western provides services including masonry restoration and preservation, roofing, tuckpointing, concrete restoration, waterproofing and disaster recovery.
- As one of St. Louis’ largest privately held companies, Western reported 2018 revenue of $225 million, up from 2017 revenue of $213.2 million.
- Family-owned, Western operates 30 branch offices nationwide and has more than 1,200 salaried and hourly employees.
Why Did Western Specialty Contractors Hire Nolan?
- Western is expanding its ‘building envelope’ market position by making strategic acquisitions in key markets including Denver, Los Angeles, Chicago, Minneapolis and Indianapolis.
- The third-generation ownership of Western engaged Nolan to locate companies that would allow for geographic expansion of its existing roofing business, specifically into the Kansas City area.
What Value Did Nolan Deliver?
- Nolan’s team investigated the Kansas City market for successful firms that were best aligned with Western’s growth goals and delivered Great Plains Roofing and Sheet Metal to Western’s leadership.
- Founded in 2004, Great Plains is a full-service, commercial roofing and sheet metal contractor with in-house sheet metal fabrication facilities.
- The acquisition of Great Plains is expected to add $13 to $15 million to Western’s annual revenue and 60 to 70 skilled tradespeople, in addition to several office staff.
- Western has an existing Kansas City branch office, established in 1945, that provides concrete and masonry restoration, epoxy and chemical grout injection, expansion joint systems, exterior wall coatings, parking and plaza deck restoration and waterproofing.
- In addition to achieving their goal of growing geographically in the Kansas City market, the acquisition also provides Western’s customers with a more comprehensive range of roofing, concrete, masonry and waterproofing services.
- The ownership of Great Plains will stay with the business through a transition period before retiring.