DATE: December 31, 2011
Who is Our Client?
- Matthews Book Company, based in Maryland Heights, MO, specializes in the distribution of medical education supplies.
- Established in 1889, Matthews has survived depressions and recessions as a result of good decision-making and executing the correct strategic initiatives.
Why Did Matthews Book Company Hire Nolan?
- Matthews’ management team was referred to Nolan to assist with an acquisition search for a business that diversified its product offering and enhanced its growth profile.
- Nolan executed a targeted search to identify an acquisition candidate outside of its traditional end markets that leveraged its existing core distribution expertise.
What Value Did Nolan Deliver?
- After contacting several hundred business owners and analyzing dozens of acquisition opportunities with Matthews’ management, International Wholesale Supply was the favorite on the target list.
- International Wholesale Supply creates marketing programs and distributes products to the growing travel center market.
- Nolan communicated Matthews’ long-standing history and investment objectives to the International Wholesale Supply owner, who was attracted to a business combination with a larger entity that would take International Wholesale Supply to the next level.
- The International Wholesale Supply acquisition provided a growth vehicle that enabled Matthews to reach approximately $100MM in combined sales.