DATE: June 24, 2019
Who is Our Client?
- Bissinger’s is an award-winning manufacturer and distributer of super premium confectionary products carried nationally in over 3,100 retail locations such as Nieman Marcus, Kroger, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Mariano’s, Ralph’s, Central Markets, Heinen’s and Starbucks.
- The Bissinger family began its storied tradition of crafting confections in 17th century France, where their legendary chocolate was enjoyed by European nobility and heads of state.
- In 1845, Karl Bissinger left France, bringing his loyal master confectioner and the Bissinger family secrets to the United States.
- Bissinger settled just outside of Cincinnati, where he opened the very first Bissinger’s kitchen in America.
- In 1927, his son, also named Karl, would carry on the Bissinger’s tradition, opening his own kitchen in St. Louis.
- Bissinger’s has offered its products via a direct to consumer catalogue, an e-commerce website, wholesale channels, a factory store and a mall-based retail location.
- In 2014, Bissinger’s relocated its operations into a historically significant building on the North Side of the City of St. Louis, doubling the size of the production facility, improving warehousing capability and adding a factory retail store.
- Since the 1970s, Bissinger’s has operated a retail location in St. Louis’ Plaza Frontenac, one of the premiere luxury retail malls in the United States.
Why Did Bissinger’s Hire Nolan?
- Tim Fogerty, owner and CEO of Bissinger’s, engaged with Nolan because he decided to exit the chocolate business to focus on his other venture, 23 City Blocks Hospitality Group.
- 23 City Blocks Hospitality Group owns and operates St. Louis venues and restaurants including The Caramel Room, Lumen Private Event Space and The Chocolate Pig.
What Value Did Nolan Deliver?
- Nolan’s process delivered Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company, an award-winning 2nd generation family-owned chocolate company.
- After years of studying the art of handcrafting small batches of premium chocolates and apprenticing with master candy makers across the country, founder Dan Abel returned to his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri in 1981 to open his own candy company.
- Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company is a family of candy makers who work alongside a talented staff of artisan chocolatiers with over 100 years of combined confectionery experience.
- The Abel family will run Bissinger’s as a separate business entity from its other brands, moving the Bissinger’s kitchen, staff and original equipment into a new addition of the Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company factory.
- The Bissinger’s retail store at Plaza Frontenac will be owned and operated by its original owner, Bud Kolbrener, who premiered the store at Plaza Frontenac when the mall opened and has been a part of the Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company management team since 2009.